Wednesday, May 1, 2013

10 Year old Inspires Others to Reach out and Read

Fourth grader, Colin Barber likes to read books. “I like the way you can learn new things and meet different people. I like to go to new places in my books.” At only 10-years old, Colin understands why reading is so important in child development and he wants to share his love of books with other children. That is why Colin chose the Reach Out and Read Program as his community service project, part of his black belt testing requirements for Taekwondo. “I heard about a girl who didn’t have any books and I thought maybe I could change that.” And that is exactly what he did. With a little help from his parents, Colin set up collection boxes for used or new books at his school, his church and his Taekwondo school, Ken Caryl ATA Martial Arts. “I had a goal of collecting 300 books, because that is how many books I have and I reached my goal.” Not only did Colin reach his goal, but he surpassed it, collecting 511 beautiful children’s books. Colin arrived at the Jefferson County Public Health Immunization clinic recently to donate all 511 of those books. The modest smile on his face as he handed over the boxes of books said it all. Thank you, Colin Barber for the wonderful books and for sharing your love of reading with other children.

Jefferson County Public Health’s Immunization Program nurses and staff are advising parents about the importance of reading aloud to their children and also providing age-appropriate books to take home. JCPH is one of the more than 180 participating clinics in the Reach Out and Read Colorado program. This non-profit distributes more than 143,000 books to more than 82,000 Colorado children annually.
For More Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment