Consequences of Unintended Pregnancy:
- birth defects
- low birth weight
- elective abortion
- maternal depression
- increased risk of child abuse
- lower educational attainment
- delayed entry into prenatal care
- high risk of physical violence during pregnancy
- reduced rates of breastfeeding
We all have a role in helping our youth become successful adults. Parents, teachers, friends, employers and others are invited to take time this May to help prevent teen pregnancy. Engage the youth in your life in conversation, get teens thinking about how a pregnancy might affect their life and help them come up with a plan for avoiding pregnancy.
For more information on Teen Pregnancy:
- JCPH Family Planning (reproductive health and birth control) services.
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s web page on Breaking the Cycle of Teen Pregnancy.
- Download the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s Action Guide to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
- Visit Stay Teen, Stay Informed website.