February is Random Acts of Kindness Month, and Jefferson County Public Health is joining Jefferson County Department of Human Services in encouraging you to be kind in whatever ways you can in an effort to improve mental health and happiness.
Research shows that people who perform acts of kindness feel positive emotions — as do the recipients.
Some ideas for random acts of kindness, according to andthenwesaved.com, are to:
1. Compliment a stranger.
2. Adopt an animal from a shelter.
3. Send paper thank you notes.
4. Pay for the coffee, the toll or the bus fare for the person behind you in line.
5. Let people merge in during traffic.
6. Let your partner or roommate watch their show.
7. Make extra copies of photos and send them to the people in the images.
8. Offer to help a friend unpack or move.
9. Donate to a shelter, or give blankets, warm clothes, shoes or boots to the homeless.
10. Walk the cart back to the front of the store.
11. Tell a well-behaved child’s parents how good their kid is being — be sure to do it in front of the kid to raise self esteem.
12. Leave nice comments on blogs, Twitter and Facebook.
13. Tip generously.
14. Smile at people.
15. Give the handyman, painter, electrician, etc., a glass of water or snack.