These simple tips have been compiled to help our aging Jefferson County population stay safe:
- Exercise, including walking and stretching to improve muscle strength and balance;
- Have the doctor review all medications to check for side effects, doses or drug interactions that could cause dizziness or drowsiness;
- Get yearly vision exams to make sure eyes are healthy and glasses are the proper strength;
- Reduce risks at home including clutter and poor lighting; and install handrails in tubs and showers;
- Limit intake of alcohol, which can affect balance;
- Stand up slowly: Rising too quickly can sometimes result in a sudden drop in blood pressure, causing dizziness;
- Use a cane or walker if needed for steadiness.